Zakat is the collection and distribution of compulsory donations from able individuals to the needy.
The Qur’an talks about the zakat in more than 30 different verses, mainly in the Medinan suras. In the Quranic view, Zakat is a way to redistribute the wealth, thus defining a charity-based economy with a particular interest in the poor and the dispossessed Muslims.
Zakat is considered more than taxation. One must give zakat for the sake of one’s salvation. The giving of the Zakat is considered a means of purifying one’s wealth and soul.
The Zakat Committee
- The Zakat Committee plays an integral role in collecting donations from the community and distributing them to the needy. Our mission is to enrich the lives of the less fortunate and strengthen community efforts in outreach programs.
Role of the Zakat Committee:
- Led by Brother Mohammad Afzal, the Zakat Committee works diligently to ensure that the needy and other deserving groups have received the proper support from the EPMA community.
- The committee consists of a board members and volunteers, which meets on regular basis to decide on how to allocate Zakat funds to the appropriate applicants, groups and organizations.
- The distributions are conducted according to Islamic principles while abiding by federal, state and local regulations for nonprofit organizations.
- The Zakat Committee selects the priorities according to the circumstances and needs of the community, nation and the Muslim Ummah at large.